Sunday, December 31, 2017

Tralineate Interview

1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Yeah, this whole thing has been in the works for a while now actually. Half of the songs on this album were reworked from a previous solo project and have been milling around in my head for years. They just didn't get the proper fit and finish the last time around and I liked the material too much to just leave it behind. I had also been continually writing songs during this time and between the new stuff and the old stuff thought that I had a pretty solid lineup of songs for an album. Now, the other thing is that my work schedule is so different than everybody else's that I knew I'd have to do it on my own again. But I wanted it to be better than the first attempt way back when so I spent a lot of hours learning how to properly record, edit, mix, etc., so that I'd have something I could be proud of. My original goal was really just to have a finished cd so I could listen to it in my car when I was out and around but I wanted it to be more than just a demo tape sounding hobby kind of thing. Anyway, so I came up with a name and started a Facebook page and released a few songs just to share with people I knew and started getting pretty good response. Mostly just from friends of mine but then there started being other people showing interest as well so I got more serious about it. Nothing too crazy, but if I was going to do it, I figured I might as well do it all the way so I decided to release it publicly. I researched a bunch of distribution sites and found one I liked and released it digitally through them at the end of this past September. And now, three months later, I'm pretty happy with how things are going.

2. So far you have released one album with this project, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

Back to basics. Just heavy, straight forward death metal that makes you want to get up and move.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

I try to to do a little bit of everything but sometimes it's really personal stuff. The song I wrote about my Dad's death, Monday, May 12th, is simply about what was going through my mind on that day. I write a lot about depression, suicide, fear, things like that. The title track, Ike Antz Leap, is about my rampant insomnia. The song Flight 232 Heavy is a true story about an airplane disaster back in 1989 and the lyrics are a timeline of the actual events. I've got a couple of other songs that aren't on the album that are really off the beaten path for this type of music. I wrote an instrumental about my old car where I recorded samples of the engine and exhaust sounds while doing burnouts and blasting down the highway at midnight speeds and used those samples in the song. It turned out pretty cool. And I've got one I just wrote recently about the Rubik's Cube, it's surprisingly awesome. Haha. It's actually pretty difficult for me to be serious but I trying to keep the serious stuff for album material and the goofy stuff for myself and social media. And of course I still hit on the normal death metal stuff like religion and apocalyptic type scenarios. I've got some pretty good ideas for the next one.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Tralineate'?

Man, choosing a band name these days is kinda ridiculous. I wanted a name that was fitting of myself and of the music but didn't want something that was overly predictable. I searched I don't know how many internet pages, dictionaries, etc. The main problem was that every time I though I had come up with a cool name, somebody else was already using it. Anyway, so I came across the word tralineate on a site that was all words that aren't as commonly used anymore. Tralineate was last listed I think in a dictionary from 1828. It means 'to deviate, to stray, or to wander'. That is me exactly. I don't do anything the normal way. Haha.

5. With this album you record everything by yourself, how would you compare it to working with a full band?

I've recorded albums with previous bands and to me, that was a way easier. With a full band, you show up, set up your rig, and play. Maybe you have to do multiple takes, maybe you help with some editing, things like that. But generally speaking, you don't really have to worry about anything but playing your part right because you're paying somebody else to worry about all that other stuff for you. When you're doing everything by yourself, there's a lot of things that have to be considered, you've got to be really aware of every little nuance of the song because you're the only one taking notes. If you miss something, you miss it, there's not five other sets of ears as a backup. For me, it was a lot more work but at the same time, I enjoyed it more because there was no sitting around waiting for it to my turn to do whatever.There was always something that I could be doing. The best part about recording on your own is you only have to work around your own schedule, that's huge in my world.

6. You have also been in bands since the early 90's, what is it that motivates you to keep going after all these years?

I still have ideas of things that I want to hear and as long as that continues to happen, I'll still be writing and trying put out music. Whether it's just for myself or not, I have to get that stuff out of my head or it makes me crazy. I've taken some hiatuses through the years due to various life events but I always feel that push to write and play. Cliche as it may be, metal is life.

7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have you received any interest?

It all depends. I'm not actively seeking a label but I have received some interest and decided that my current situation is fine for now. That doesn't mean I never would necessarily, but right now, I'm content with how things are going.

8. On a worldwide level, how has feedback been to your music by fans of death metal?

I think pretty good, I've heard lots of positive things but I also know that it hasn't gotten too far out there yet. I'm still working on getting it in front of more people but yeah, from what I've heard, people seem to dig it.

9. Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?

Well, I've already started writing material for a second Tralineate album and I've got a few different ideas coming together. I'm hoping to expand on my own sound and progress into maybe some new sounds that I haven't tried yet. I'll still play death metal, but I might make it weirder. Haha. I've still got a lot of craziness to explore.

10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

That's a very long list. Haha. I grew up listening to Chicago, Kansas, The Beach Boys and stuff like that on family trips across the country. My family was big on music, everybody played an instrument or sang in a choir or something. Once I was old enough to develop my own tastes, I gravitated towards more aggressive stuff. I liked punk a lot when I was a teenager, skate rock and things like that. Once I was introduced to metal though, that was it, that music resonated with me, it was a whole new world. I like to check out different things now and again but it's not very often that I find something that speaks to me the way metal does. These days I've got a few things that are on permanent rotation in my car, House of Thumbs' Rubicon album is just incredible, I listen to that one a lot. Fleshgod Apocalypse, Lamb of God, both of them have tons of great stuff that I never get bored with. I've got some odd ones that I listen to a lot too though like 6:33 and Igorrr. So perfect in their weirdness. And of course, I still love the classics, Pantera, Megadeth, Danzig, Meshuggah, Strapping Young Lad, stuff like that never gets old. I'm sure I could list 20 more easily.

11. What are some of your non musical interests?

Ha. There's a lot of those as well. I have a thousand interests and the ability to focus on none of them. Haha. I love fishing and woodworking the most. Those are two of the most calming, centering activities you can find. They both really help me slow down and reboot. I also really enjoy Rubik's Cubes and those sorts of puzzles. Gotta keep this old brain sharp. Haha. I did a video on the Tralineate Facebook page of me solving a Rubik's Cube, didn't set any records or anything but still did pretty good. I think it was like 1 minute 34 seconds or something. My personal best is 1 minute 26 seconds. R/C cars are a blast too. I have one of those Traxxas E-Revos, that thing is nuts, man, super fast. This past 4th of July, I strapped a giant smoke bomb to it and jumped it over my fishing truck. I've got video of it, It was pretty awesome.

12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Yeah, first off, thank you for taking the time to talk to me, I really appreciate the opportunity. And for whoever reads this, if you get a chance, I hope you'll check out the album. And come say hi on the Tralineate Facebook page. Stay metal and have a great day out there!

https://www.facebook.com/tralineate/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment